Monday, January 5, 2009

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

I find myself longing deeply for a simpler life.  One uncomplicated by television, bureaucracy, electronics.  We are a social race, we need to laugh, play, dace, and sing with friends and family.  Some how we are defying nature and becoming more and more secluded.  I find a lot of damage in our society due to this odd condition.  We will all sit in a movie and wish we had a group of friends to hang out with daily just like those actors do on the screen, we will watch Christmas specials on tv and lament the fact that Christmas is too commercial and has lost that special spark like what is exhibited on the television, but we will not focus on bringing Christmas to others.  Once upon a time, not so very long ago, people danced, laughed and listened to music in such a way that was respectful and fun to each other.  This may have come in the form of square dancing, swing dancing, jitter bugging, or even the mashed potato.  I think we have lost a definate grasp on life.  The objects we cling to so desperate have spun us out of control.  Naturally we do the only thing we know to do, we look right back at those objects, but instead of comfort we find confusion and keep running and spinning.  


I would like to challenge everyone to take a day and do something just for fun, something you don’t normally do, and see how much fun it is.  The other day I was walking home and saw the painted bars on the crosswalk.  Remembering the movie Elf I chuckled to myself and thought, “That crazy elf, jumping from one bar to the other.  It looked like fun, I wish I could do that.”  Then I thought, why the heck don’t I?  And that’s exactly what I did, and I had so much fun, I did it at two other cross walks on the way home.  This did not involve anything much except that I had to take the time to walk home, and then realize that I really had nothing to hurry home to, and then realize that it wouldn’t take any time away anyway and would be a blast!


Funny how we rationalize things.  I’m too grown up, too dignified, too important, too unimportant.  Really what we are is scared and lonely.  We are social creatures.  We feel safe in numbers, we have fun with others, we find joy in the joy of those around us.  A video game is so much more fun with a partner than it is alone.  Even more fun than playing tennis on Wii, take a chance and go to a court with a friend and try to learn to play, even if you hate it, it will be a blast.  Why stay in?  Because you don’t have to get dressed up?  Because you can be a little lazier?  Because you can save money?  Is it really worth it though?  Not at all.  So invite some people over and dance!  Put on a tie or a skirt (whatever is appropriate...or makes you comfortable) and discover the world and how joyful it is once you separate yourself from what you own, and join yourself to what nature has blessed us with.  A communal spirit, a joyful heart, a mind that can discover new ways to have fun, and hands and feet to accomplish it all.


If any of you want to get together and dance, sing, play a terrible game of tennis, or just have a cup of coffee and laugh at how silly our lives are, please give me a call.  I’m tired to spending my time with my television and my lap top.

2 comments:

CMJ said...

Hey there Jon!

I have been thinking about you, knowing that application deadlines are just a week or so away. How's it going? Are you feeling pretty good about it? I hope that you have had a good experience getting everything in order.

I also hope that you can enjoy this semester while you wait for a response. What classes are you taking?

Good luck with finishing all your last minute details on apps and have an excellent final semester at UCM!

Candace

Michelle and Jeff said...

Hey Jon, You hit it right on the nose! Why do people watch movies with glamorous people, women dressed to the hilt and guys all suave and charming, because we long to be like that. The 20's memerize us with the glamorous styles and exciting parties, but we are too afraid to embrace that sort of life, too lazy to put forth the effort. You up for some pinocle?? LOL!
M